School Travel Plan
The Forest Academy is part of TfL’s STARS Programme and has been Gold Star accredited.
STARS (Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe) is TfL’s accreditation scheme for London schools and nurseries. STARS inspires young Londoners to travel to school sustainably, actively, responsibly and safely by championing walking, scooting and cycling. STARS supports pupils’ wellbeing, helps to reduce congestion at the school gates and improve road safety and air quality.
The Forest Academy encourages students to walk or cycle to school as part of a healthy active lifestyle.
We as a school are committed to promoting active and safe travel. Throughout this year we have run the following:
- Mountain Biking – trips to Hainault Forest
- Cycling Lessons – cycling sessions during curriculum days and house challenge competitions
- Theatre in Education Performances – to encourage our students to be streetwise
- Safe Drive, Stay Alive – driving safety dramatisation for Sixth Formers
- Poster competitions (Be Bright Be Seen) – to raise awareness of the importance of being visible whilst travelling to and from school
- Level 1 and 2 Bikeability courses – to promote safe and confident cycling on the roads
- Bike Maintenance course – teaching students how to fix bikes
- Dr Bike sessions – to make our bikes safe for use
- Prudential Ride London – a 46-mile bike race entered by our Sixth Formers
- Bike Polo Tournament – competing against other schools in the borough in this innovative new sport
- Bikeability Level 3 courses – to teach students how to ride safely on busy roads
We are open to feedback and would welcome opinions on how we could tackle travel and transport issues. Therefore if you have any ideas on how we could further promote active travel, please feel free to contact email@example.com